Monday, May 4, 2015

My friend Jane

This weekend I got news that my friend Jane had suddenly died. It was a shock, a blow to my heart.

I met Jane about 1985. She was already working as an auditor for the state of Texas in Beaumont when I was hired for the same position.

She was sophisticated and elegant, graceful and gracious, lovely, and kind - the epitome of a Southern lady. I was anything but the traits she effortlessly lived, but she was instantly my friend, my mentor, my support when I went through tough times.

After a couple of years I moved to Washington and she moved to Austin and we lost touch, but thanks to Facebook we found each other after a long time, and it seemed like yesterday since I'd talked to her.

I'm so very glad I found her again. She was a luminous spot in my life. I was emailing a mutual friend yesterday who said he broke down and cried when he got the news. He's not alone. Jane was loved by many, many people whose hearts were broken when they heard the sad news.

=======
Thought of the day:

She is a friend of mind. She gather me, man. The pieces I am, she gather them and give them back to me in all the right order. It’s good, you know, when you got a woman who is a friend of your mind. ~Toni Morrison, Beloved